Meeting of the Board of Directors
March 15, 2010
Esperanza Estates Ramada
Green Valley, AZ
The meeting was called to order at 1:00 by President Thomas Cooke.
Board members present: Joe McCalpin, Barb McCalpin, Bruce Liljegren, Joan Moreaux, Sam Barnard, Bob Hunton, Sandy Reed, and Stoney Brown.
Board members absent: None
Announcements: There were no announcements.
Acceptance of previous minutes: There were no corrections to the February meeting minutes, which are considered approved.
Treasurer’s report: Joan Moreaux reported that the HOA accountant is ill and in the hospital, and accordingly the financial statements for the month are not ready. She will make every effort to have them included in the March Periodico.
Architectural: Bob Hunton reported on the situation on the Excelso home that has some paint issues, which he has been working on getting corrected. The present owners originally agreed to take care of the problem, but have not done so and the house is now on the market for sale again. A general discussion of this type of problem ensued, including the relief afforded to HOA’s under ARS 18-3306--which appears to cover the problem quite well. The HOA is required to give a statement to a new purchaser as to any issues respecting the property that don’t comply with the CC&R’s; this will basically require the seller to correct the problem or lose the sale. We will need to modify our new buyer compliance form to leave a line to insert any apparent CC&R problem, and to conduct at least a brief inspection before certifying that no issues exist. It was generally agreed that this will be the protocol in the future on sales.
The issue of the incorrect house color at 146 Napa has been alleviated, as the owner has agreed to repaint the house in June.
Capital Projects: Sandy Reed reported on the meetings with the two contractors about re-plastering the pool and spa. The proposal by Hardrock Design and Pool appears by far to be the best one, and following a general discussion, it was moved, seconded, and passed to award it the contract. The total amount is $11,197.03. The work carries an 8 year warranty, and will be scheduled for completion in April. The pool and spa will need to be closed for approximately two weeks to enable the work to be done.
Common Areas: Stoney Brown reported the main issue in the common areas currently is weed control, which is ongoing. There are no other matters requiring Board attention.
GVCCC: Joe McCalpin, reported that he had to miss the last GVCCC meeting, but he had the minutes. All HOA’s are being asked to send a letter to Pima County, asking that they reconsider the proposed closing of the landfill. It was also pointed out that HOA’s need to check the bylaw amendment sections of their bylaws to assure they comply with state law, as many do not. Some landscaping grant workshops have been held, and our HOA was represented by resident Dean Hess, who will report later in the meeting on this topic.
GVCCC assisted in having Pima County do some corrective work on a sidewalk that posed a trip-and-fall hazard.
There is an intersection at Regalo and Vereda Calma that appears to need a stop or yield sign, and Joe will look into this further.
There was a general discussion on the potholes situation, and a general survey will be taken to see if we can fix any of these ourselves because the County either can't or won't do it.
Neighborhood Relations: Sam Barnard reported that peace and harmony is prevailing in our neighborhood, with no problems noted.
Recreational Facilities: Tom Cooke reported that the only matters of consequence in our recreational facilities is the re-plastering of the pools which is scheduled, and which has been reported upon earlier in the meeting.
Hospitality Committee: Sam Barnard reported for the Committee, which is busy and planning events. They have sufficient funds on hand at this time for planned activities. A spaghetti feed is planned for March 27, and tickets are available.
Neighborhood Watch: Mary Beth Wallace reported all is well with the Neighborhood Watch Committee. A meeting of block captains and assistants is planned for April 3rd.
Enhancement Committee: The Committee’s patio and bake sale was very successful, and over $3000 was raised. They also expect to receive the proceeds of the Home Tour, which should amount to an additional $1000 plus. No projects are planned, but will be by next spring.
Old Business: No old business.
New Business: There were some items of new business. Ben Sheffield has received prices on a lamp head very similar to the exemplar we have, and it appears these can be purchased for about $22 each. It was noted the main difference appears to be the glass is more opaque on the new model. One problem that has been noted is that some modification will be required to enable Xmas lights to be plugged into the fixture--although this appears doable without much difficulty. Ben will order one model to enable the Board to view it, and a final decision will be made on an order.
Barb McCalpin gave a brief presentation on the newcomers brunch, held last Sunday. It was a huge success, and very well received. The Bienvenidos a Esperanza Committee had expenses of about $200, more or less, and moved that the bill be paid by the HOA because it is an HOA committee engaged in HOA business. The motion was duly seconded and passed.
Dean Hess reported on attendance at a workshop on grants for landscaping. Tom Cooke will inquire as to the requirements to be eligible for such a grant and will report back to the Board if it appears to be something that EE could qualify for. If so, a survey will be undertaken to determine needs and potential projects.
A reminder was given that Mitchel Miramonte, a Marine who received gifts from EE residents a couple of years ago, will be here Saturday the 20th to visit with residents and say thanks.
The annual EE Volunteers Dinner is scheduled for April 9.
Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 2:00 p.m.